Saturday, February 27, 2010

Design Madison Talk

Thursday night I attended yet another Design Madison meeting with an excellent guest speaker.  This time we heard from Design Army-- a husband & wife design team from Washington D.C.  I found it more inspiring than any of the other speakers I've seen this year.  Perhaps it has something to do with my current job situation, but I was particularly inspired by their myriad of promotional materials. They said that when they first got started and had to go out and find clients they wanted to stand out, so they came up with several clever ways to promote themselves, like illustrated Tarot cards, screen-printed socks, accordion-style postcard packs, etc.  It got me thinking about how I can promote myself. . . maybe something besides the usual business card. Also, they talked about how they've branded themselves-- since the beginning, they've only used 3 colors (red, mint and brown) and one typeface for their self-promotion.  Their aesthetic is generally clean and modern, but they really focus on concepts.  This is especially apparent in their photographic projects, which all had a unique theme (like Willy Wonka or Alice in Wonderland).

1 comment:

  1. These are all great ideas... the more you can streamline your image, the stronger your brand will be. That reminds me... I need you to design some new business cards for me ;)

    ReplyDelete