Tuesday, February 2, 2010

I got up way too early this morning. . .

So, what would cause me to drag myself out of bed at the crack of dawn (before dawn, actually), in a snowstorm, after going to a concert the night before and getting only 4 1/2 hours of sleep?  An AIGA meeting, of course!  One of my "New Year's Resolutions" (though I kind of hate that term) was to get more involved in the local design community. . .So I've been trying to go to every event that I hear about.  Apparently, every first Tuesday of the month, AIGA Wisconsin hosts an informal discussion at a local coffee house.  They start at 7:15, so that all the working schmucks (like me) can get to work by 9 am.  The topic today was logo design and brand identity.  The group was pretty small (I think the snow kept a lot of people away), but I was very glad I went.  Everyone else there worked for design firms, or did freelance jobs, except me.  Since I'm an "in-house" designer, working only for one brand, I had a unique perspective.

I enjoyed discussing the process that different people go through when designing a logo. We discussed the importance of interviewing the client thoroughly and trying to "get in their head."  Also, looking at the competition is very important.

We also spent a lot of time looking at "good" and "bad" logos. . .Something I admittedly haven't paid much attention to before. Like the new Tropicana logo, which received a lot of negative attention. Alternately, we all liked Melbourne, Australia's new logo, which uses this new trend of changeable logos.

Recently, a friend of mine asked me to design a logo for his new catering business, which is why I pushed myself to go to this meeting.  Also, I need to design a new logo for myself (before I get business cards printed, which needs to happen soon), and for Wanderlost.  hmm. . .a lot to think about.

3 comments:

  1. Love your Blog Jess. Glad to see you taking interest in career and taking class to fill holes in education. Its not lame to be work full time and be good at what you do. Go for it.

    P.S. Quito is great!

    EP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog...tried to post a comment yesterday and it didn't go through...trying agsin...Love, Grandma P.

    ReplyDelete
  3. now that I have figured out how to make my comment go through I will proceed to say that I really admire your Shoptwigs web designs and enjoy seeing them....not to mention love wearing the necklace Christmas gift from there....I have been going to a twice a month SIG Group {short for Special Interest Group} at our Tampa Bay Computer Society {one of the best in the country..1200 members} on Social Networking...it is all about Twitter, Facebook, etc...I want Grandpa to use Social Networking to promote his book on Patterns in Answered Prayer but he hasn't tackled that, yet...he does have it on Amazon.com and has an ISBN number.

    ReplyDelete